Fancy being part of Explorathon 2019, AKA European Researchers Night?
This September, do you want to share your research in a pan-European event? Explorathon 2019 takes place on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th September 2019.
Explorathon is Scotland’s event for EU Researchers’ Night. Researchers’ Night takes place on the last Friday in September each year. It is a public celebration of research that takes place in more than 300 cities across Europe.
You don’t need to be funded by the European Commission to take part in Researchers’ Night, and you can be working on any area of research – the arts, humanities and social sciences are welcome.
Universities in Scotland first ran Explorathon in 2014. This year, events will take place in the cities of Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. The Beltane Public Engagement Network coordinates the events in Edinburgh. The Scottish event as a whole is led by the University of Aberdeen.
Last year, around 3,000 members of the public turned out across the city to see events in venues including Ocean Terminal, WHALE Arts, Royal Botanic Gardens, the Lyell Centre, and many more. This year, we hope to see many more people!
If you would like to be involved, we are looking for both researchers and volunteers for the following venues:
- The Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh – daytime drop-in session for families
- Various schools across Edinburgh – school-age focused activities
- Café Scientifique – informal talks for an adult audience
- New Scots Ceilidh – workshops with the New Scots community, possibly from August and certainly September, leading to a celebration “ceilidh”
- WHALE Arts – daytime interactive activities around a number of themes – food, sustainability, placemaking and wellbeing
- The Lyell Centre @ Heriot-Watt – daytime drop in activities and talks, themed around marine and earth science
- Leith Labs @ Ocean Terminal – table-top drop-in experiments, “science busking”, informal talks and discussions
- Kings Buildings, University of Edinburgh – daytime drop in activities, themed around science and engineering
Training will also be available in the months prior to the event.
Please register your interest here – note that this doesn’t commit you to anything! The deadline for expressions of interest is 5pm 14th June 2019.
The Explorathon Edinburgh team – Laura, Dawn, Fiona, Miriam, and Ally